Consider a Rescue Dog...
Rescuing a dog from your local shelter and/or rescue organizations is by far the best way to add a loving and deserving pet to your family. Here you will find a list of Local Shelters and Rescue Organizations in the St Louis area for your reference. Please keep these organizations in mind when choosing a dog for your home.
1.Stray Rescue of St Louis
- I love this rescue organization for the simple fact that they are a No-Kill shelter. The founder of this organization literally walks the streets of St Louis and East St. Louis to find strays in need of medical attention and loving homes. Please highly consider their organization when searching for your animal companion.
- This organization, like many other, is rooted in finding and caring for homeless and needy animals. When you visit their website, you find the ability to do everything from volunteering, fostering and adopting loving animals.
3.Open Door Animal Sanctuary
- Established in the mid 1970's, ODAS is a No-Kill shelter that provides care and homes for homeless and needy cats and dogs.
4.Humane Society of Missouri
- This is a great website to start with when searching for ways you can help needy dogs and animals.
5. Missouri Pit Bull Rescue
- If you are a power breed lover and want to help out Missouri Pit Bulls, whether it be volunteering, fostering or adopting, please visit Missouri Pit Bull Rescue. Here you will find Pit Bulls who have been rescued from bad situations and irresponsible owners. This organization also rescues pits from Kill shelters once their time is up at the shelter. Some of these dogs may need extra love and attention, but coming from a fellow pit bull owner, I can attest that these are the most loving and dedicated dogs you will ever find.
- This is a small St Louis based organization dedicated to helping and placing needy animals in the city of St Louis. This organization works with local shelters to help save animals who would have been put down due to lack of space in the shelter.
7. Animal Protective Association
- Located in St Louis, the APA is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing people and pets together, advancing humane education and creating programs beneficial to the human/animal bond.